A car accident can happen in the shortest time possible. In some instances, the accident causes serious injuries leaving your vehicle worse for wear. Regardless of whether your insurance has protected you against financial consequences, you might end up on the hook for car repairs or medical bills if you are not cautious. Prior planning for an accident may appear pessimistic, but it is a clever way to protect yourself money-wise. Here are things to do after a car accident so as to protect yourself.
Essential things to do after an automobile accident
• Take a deep breath and stay calm. A wide range of emotions are experienced after a crash. Guilt, shock, anger or nervousness are among them but are normal. You should take a few deep breaths to calm down. If you are calm, you will be in a better position to handle the situation. At this time, you should take stock of the accident and try to make a sober judgment if it was a serious one.
• Ensure that everyone is okay. Safety should be a priority when an accident happens. Therefore, make sure that everyone involved in the accident is okay. Check every person involved in the automobile accident, passengers included. In case someone is hurt, call 911 immediately. If one of your occupants seems groggy, unresponsive or unsure if he or she is okay, call 911. Always be safe than sorry as some injuries could be internal. If it is apparent that everyone is okay, move them to the sidewalk as soon as possible. If the accident is straightforward and the damage to your car is minor, move the vehicle to the shoulder of the road. However, if there are injuries or you have doubts about the safety of driving the car, leave it where it is.
• Stay at the particular scene. Do not leave the scene until it is suitable to do so. If you happen to leave where someone was killed or sustained injuries, you can face serious criminal charges for being a hit and run driver. Craig Swapp Law is a good go-to place for such information.
• Notify the police. Never underestimate an accident. Even when it seems minor, it is a good idea to get the authorities involved. Depending on the seriousness of the crash, the officers will come to the scene to fill out a report. In some instances, you may be able to file a report at your local precinct. When completing the report, be as accurate as possible. Include every detail you can recall. Thereafter, get a copy of the report of your records as you may end up in court later on. If you would like to use websites, like colleylaw.net click here, to review the legal processes that are involved then it would only help.
• Document the accident. Try to record the accident immediately it happens unless you are seriously injured. Take accurate pictures of all the vehicles involved and be keen on any damage caused. Get a few shots of the scene, including signals, lane markings, traffic signs or anything that you believe may have contributed to the crash.
• Get the other driver’s details. As you wait for the police to arrive, it is important that you get the other driver’s insurance and personal details. At least, ensure that you write down things such as:
I. His or her name
III. Both home and personal phone number
IV. Their license plate number
V. Make and model of their car
VI. Their insurance carrier as well as insurance policy number
VII. A photo of them if possible
• Do not apologize or admit guilt. For protection purposes, never admit that the accident was your fault. According to a Tustin personal injury lawyer, doing so may weaken your case. It is imperative to note that anything you utter after the automobile accident could end up being used against you in court. A simple “sorry” could appear as an admission of liability or guilt or worse, it may make you liable for your own injuries as well as the other motorist involved. It’s best to be in contact with a personal injury lawyer such as joelhschwartz.com. Only state facts and limit your discussion as much as possible. Let the insurance company and the authorities determine fault.
• Contact your insurance company. If possible, call your insurance company while at the scene. The individual you talk to should be able to advise you on the next course of action. They will as well advise you on the things that you don’t want to do, which would include signing anything that has not yet been reviewed by your insurer. Also keep in mind that acquiring a local lawyer would be beneficial due to the fact that they would not only be close to you, but know the area that you are in as well, such as a Bay Area truck driver lawyer, if you were in that area or a car accident lawyer in Sacramento if that is where you were when the accident occurred.
• Talk to witnesses. Ask every witness what he or she say. Get their personal information including numbers, names or addresses, if possible. These details are important as your insurance company and the police would want to interview them at some point. They also make great leads for Greenstein Milbauer Law to follow up on. It is also important to disclose to your lawyer any criminal activity in your past, as it would assist the opposition is showing you in an unfair light. In this situation the best person to talk to would be a criminal lawyer Austin, Texas.
• Consider hiring a lawyer from greenberglawoffices.com. In many instances, it is important to contact a car accident lawyer from ny-defense.com who can also assist you with traffic tickets and protect you from any claims. Also, if you have sustained any injuries, contact a car accident lawyer within your area. A small ache during an accident could lead to a serious condition with time. Your interests will be better protected the sooner you contact a lawyer.
The odds are that you do not want to be involved in a car wreck unless you are trying to score a point in a demolition derby, raise your national profile as a NASCAR driver or to attempt insurance fraud, which Denena Points Katy, Texas, does not recommend. A car accident can ruin your entire day or even life. In addition to the inconvenience of missing a crucial appointment, you also need to deal with the damage to your car, traffic citations, liability issues as well as injuries in unfortunate cases. It is unfortunate that we cannot avoid accidents completely. However, taking the right measures could help us avoid reckless accidents. Drive safely, stay safe. In any event it is best to contact a lawyer from laventlaw.com for added support.